Home » News » Public Safety
Biologists shocked endangered loons killed in Gilford and Dover
But the shootings shook the LPC staff, which works tirelessly with volunteers every year to preserve the state's current 284 pairs of loons.
On Tuesday, Fish and Game was notified that a loon had been found wounded in a field near the Cocheco River in Dover. The bird had been hit in the abdomen on Monday, but the wound was not fatal, said Vogel.
"The loon in Dover was rehabilitated and was able to be released back into the wild," Vogel said, explaining that the bullet was lodged near the bird's shoulder.
"It may still die," Vogel said. "It was determined that it was safer to leave the bullet in the bird than to try and remove it."Later on Tuesday, Fish and Game officials were called to the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee in Gilford near Varney Point. A loon was found dead there of a gunshot wound, authorities said."That loon had been shot on Tuesday and was dead," Vogel said.
Union Leader staff writer Shawne K. Wickham contributed to this report.
- Triple-bill comedy in Laconia Saturday - 0
- Keene gallery explores artistic experiences among American artists of African descent - 0
- Ben Laine to perform at the Rochester Opera House - 0
- Kim Simmons and Savoy Brown rock Tupelo Saturday - 0
- Tomie dePaola to be celebrated at Colby-Sawyer - 0
- 10th annual Portsmouth Fairy Tour flits into Seacoast - 0
- Houston Ballet II will perform in Durham - 0
- Hanover artist Bob Shannahan on display in Meriden - 0
- Comedian Paula Poundstone returns to NH with stop in Concord - 0
Currier Museum showcases impossible possibilities by M.C. Escher, who inspired generations of pop cultureREADER COMMENTS: 0
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Every vote counts: Here is the proof