Biologists shocked endangered loons killed in Gilford and Dover
But the shootings shook the LPC staff, which works tirelessly with volunteers every year to preserve the state's current 284 pairs of loons.
On Tuesday, Fish and Game was notified that a loon had been found wounded in a field near the Cocheco River in Dover. The bird had been hit in the abdomen on Monday, but the wound was not fatal, said Vogel.
"The loon in Dover was rehabilitated and was able to be released back into the wild," Vogel said, explaining that the bullet was lodged near the bird's shoulder.
"It may still die," Vogel said. "It was determined that it was safer to leave the bullet in the bird than to try and remove it."Later on Tuesday, Fish and Game officials were called to the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee in Gilford near Varney Point. A loon was found dead there of a gunshot wound, authorities said."That loon had been shot on Tuesday and was dead," Vogel said.
Union Leader staff writer Shawne K. Wickham contributed to this report.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rail rehab proposed for 42 miles of track - 0
- Stork Project labor of love for Hollis woman - 0
- More flights at Manchester airport - 0
- Platinum Selling Rockers TRAPT Set To Release 'The Acoustic Collection' Sept. 23rd - 0
- Eight environments to explore this Fall by foot - 0
- Friends of Stark Park in Manchester honored for preservation work - 0
- Londonderry police and firefighters rise to fundraising challenge - 0
- ‘When to call 911,’ a topic of Nashua Seniors Count workshop - 0
- Bedford scientist a laser pioneer - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Riding the indoor surfing wave
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
More flights at Manchester airport
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Rail rehab proposed for 42 miles of track
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Stork Project labor of love for Hollis woman
Win tickets to see Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Judge slams spice search
Market Basket: On the brink again
NH's immigrants: Welcome the ones from Mass.
Pope’s call-out Where’s the Muslim outrage?
'Chicken' arrested at Londonderry parade