Manchester panel takes up findings of civil rights panel on minority students
The occasion was the first meeting of the school board’s newly formed Committee on the Office for Civil Rights. The OCR is the federal Department of Education agency that is reviewing the district’s treatment of minorities after finding that black and Hispanic students were “disproportionately under-enrolled” in advanced high school courses.
Over the past three years, Asian students have held about 12 percent of AP seats, while making up 5 percent of the total high school student body.
Several people at the meeting stressed that parsing the numbers obscured the larger point — that not enough is being done to increase the participation of black and Hispanic students in college-track programs.
Superintendent Debra Livingston said the main focus of the district’s efforts would be to make minority students more aware of college-track opportunities and courses.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bishop of Rochester, N.Y., will be homilist for annual Red Mass - 0
- Religion Briefs: Divorce and separation support group meets in Goffstown - 0
- Annual dedication of Starr Memorial Garden scheduled - 0
- Bethany Covenant Church in Bedford celebrates 125 years, looks toward future - 0
- Season of Epsom Bible Church AWANA Clubs to begin - 0
- St. Michael's church in Exeter to offer financial course - 0
- Nursing home chaplain launches ministry - 0
- Milford Bible study group to meet on Sept. 10 - 0
- Hundreds attend Mass for slain journalist from NH - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 7
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua