Manchester panel takes up findings of civil rights panel on minority students
The occasion was the first meeting of the school board’s newly formed Committee on the Office for Civil Rights. The OCR is the federal Department of Education agency that is reviewing the district’s treatment of minorities after finding that black and Hispanic students were “disproportionately under-enrolled” in advanced high school courses.
Over the past three years, Asian students have held about 12 percent of AP seats, while making up 5 percent of the total high school student body.
Several people at the meeting stressed that parsing the numbers obscured the larger point — that not enough is being done to increase the participation of black and Hispanic students in college-track programs.
Superintendent Debra Livingston said the main focus of the district’s efforts would be to make minority students more aware of college-track opportunities and courses.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Deroy Murdock: Hillary's Benghazi-Whitewater connection? - 1
- George Will: Obama needs Congress to approve this war - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama is rushing into war against Islamic State - 1
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 5
- Pat Buchanan: In Scotland, it's economic man vs. tribal man - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 64
- Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax - 2
- David Harsanyi: The senators who really threaten America - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 10
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'