Merrimack neighbors unite against plan to erect AT&T cell tower
New Cingular Wireless, or AT&T, has presented plans to the town’s Community Development Department to build a 150-foot high telecommunication tower at 121 Joppa Road.
“However, it does have to be camouflaged,” said Thompson, adding the proposed tower is designed to look like a tall pine tree.
About 100 petitioners opposed to the project do not agree, and are asking the zoning board to reject the special exception for the tower, along with any future requests for cell towers in residential areas.
“But I understand where AT&T is coming from. They are trying to clear a coverage gap,” said Thompson. “There are some (coverage) gaps west of the turnpike.”
According to Wynn, the proposed tower would have a negative impact on property values and be an eyesore to the neighborhood. In addition, he contends that other towers already exist in the area that could be utilized, generator noise from the site could be disruptive and on-site fuel storage may be a hazard. Wynn also maintains that there is already adequate signal strength in the area.
“This is an enormous tower, and it will be right up from our window,” said Kibbe, who worries the market price and property value of her home will decrease once the structure is built.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Strategery: A war by any other name - 24
- Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.? - 5
- Public be damned: Litchfield latest example - 2
- NH's 9/11 victims: We cannot forget - 0
- Celebrating Stark: And America, in Manchester - 0
- NH's Obamabots: Taking their cues from party bosses - 57
- Spending & voting: MayDay's wasted money - 5
- For the NH GOP: Two new stars - 13
- 9/11 memories revived: 'A quiet, unyielding anger' - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPS driver charged in hit-and-run at Merrimack business - 0
- Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children - 1
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua