Home » News » Politics » State Government
House, Senate negotiators agree on disallowing rapists’ parental rights
In early negotiations, Children and Family Law Committee chair Rep. Mary Beth Waltz, D-Bow, said the provision allows the mother another avenue to seek child support, while the Senate version forces a woman to decide whether to terminate parental rights or go the child custody route with child support.
But the bill’s prime sponsor, Sen. Bette Lasky, D-Nashua, said the provision muddies the waters. Why would a woman who decides to terminate her rapists parental rights then turn around and seek child support that would open her up to contact with her rapist, she asked.
Waltz, who could not be at the meeting, has agreed to sign the report.
The bill has bipartisan support across the political spectrum from the N.H. Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence to the conservative Cornerstone Policy Research, and from the Diocese of Manchester to National Abortion Rights Action League of NH.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Creating a place of honor for servicemen lost of sea - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Help sought to place cemetery wreaths - 0
- Mason man pens book on veterans - 0
- Non-profit receives grant to get veterans on the move - 0
- Housing vouchers are available for veterans - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize veteran - 0
- Students, veterans will be recognized for making state tree decorations - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Sweeney Post events - 0
- Commentary- Mary Tamposi: Let's bring an end to homelessness among veterans - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 0
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Palker hat trick paces Bedford triumph - 0
- Police look for Laconia sub shop robber - 0
- Furious Celtics' rally falls short - 0
- Bruins stop Predators, 5-3 - 0
- Former President Bush, 90, hospitalized in Texas - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Slandering police: Racism in reverse
Police look for Laconia sub shop robber
Win tickets to see Linkin Park