Veterans issues shared at Fish & Game BBQ
Veterans stood at attention while Londonderry Town Manager Kevin Smith sang the national anthem Thursday afternoon, during the Thank A Vet BBQ at Londonderry Fish & Game Club. (APRIL GUILMET/Union Leader Correspondent)
Held in a shady clearing overlooking the club’s fishing pond, the event stemmed from a conversation between Fish and Game Club president Rick Olson and CVA state director Roger Wilkins just a few weeks earlier.
As veterans from World War II through present day caught up over hot dogs and hamburgers, one topic that seemed to weigh heavy on many minds was the current state of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Vaughn’s oldest child, Navy SEAL Aaron Carson Vaughn, was killed in action in the Tangi River Valley of Afghanistan in August 2011 when his chopper was shot out of the sky. Aaron Vaughn, one of 30 SEALS to perish that day, was 30 years old.
The Gold Star Mother became involved with CVA last fall and now devotes much of her time advocating for veterans’ issues.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Help sought to place cemetery wreaths - 0
- Mason man pens book on veterans - 0
- Non-profit receives grant to get veterans on the move - 0
- Housing vouchers are available for veterans - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize veteran - 0
- Students, veterans will be recognized for making state tree decorations - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Sweeney Post events - 0
- Commentary- Mary Tamposi: Let's bring an end to homelessness among veterans - 0
- Veterans help build Nashua Habitat home - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- Derry Council revises tax cut goal - 0
- Police remove dogs, cats and pig from Derry home after report of strong odor - 0
- Former New London police chief settles with female accuser - 0
- Alleged parental kidnapper arraigned, ordered held on $250,000 cash bail - 0
- Reports: Celtics near completion of Rondo deal - 0
- Grid coach Cote, BG go their separate ways - 0
- Former owners of 'casualty' of Northern Pass file appeal - 0
- Boston Marathon bombing suspect appears in court as trial date approaches - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
Arrest of dad at Gilford School Board meeting about Picoult book 'chilling' says judge, case dismissed
Convicted murderer entitled to hearing on new DNA evidence after 42 years, Supreme Court rules