Veterans issues shared at Fish & Game BBQ
Veterans stood at attention while Londonderry Town Manager Kevin Smith sang the national anthem Thursday afternoon, during the Thank A Vet BBQ at Londonderry Fish & Game Club. (APRIL GUILMET/Union Leader Correspondent)
Held in a shady clearing overlooking the club’s fishing pond, the event stemmed from a conversation between Fish and Game Club president Rick Olson and CVA state director Roger Wilkins just a few weeks earlier.
As veterans from World War II through present day caught up over hot dogs and hamburgers, one topic that seemed to weigh heavy on many minds was the current state of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Vaughn’s oldest child, Navy SEAL Aaron Carson Vaughn, was killed in action in the Tangi River Valley of Afghanistan in August 2011 when his chopper was shot out of the sky. Aaron Vaughn, one of 30 SEALS to perish that day, was 30 years old.
The Gold Star Mother became involved with CVA last fall and now devotes much of her time advocating for veterans’ issues.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 26
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 35
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
- Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week - 21
- Asking about marriage: The Census should keep doing it - 3
- All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU women win - 0
- Merrimack's Schaller scores first NHL goal, but B's get win - 0
- For Rex Ryan, another close loss to Pats - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings