Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Woman testifies in Mazzaglia trial Friday
Former psychic testifies she saw UNH student dead on floor
On Friday, prosecution witness Roberta Gerkin, of Rochester, who previously worked as a psychic and tarot card reader, said she became a friend of Mazzaglia after meeting him in 2011.
Once inside, Gerkin testified, she saw a woman’s body on the floor lying naked and on her back next to the bed. She added she could tell that it was a woman even though the face was covered by plastic grocery bags.
After Mazzaglia ripped open the multiple layers of plastic bags, Gerkin said she didn’t recognize the woman, but she noticed the stark color of her face.
Gerkin testified that she was given no explanation why the bags were on the woman’s face. She testified that Mazzaglia told her that he had blacked out and found the woman in his apartment.
Gerkin said she recalled that McDonough remained in the kitchen sitting on the floor, holding her knees and rocking back and forth.
“As someone who I considered to be a friend, I wanted to give him the opportunity to do the right thing,” Gerkin said.
Houran said he would instruct jurors to ignore two questions and the corresponding answers — both of which would be stricken from the record. He said it is not evidence and should not be considered.
Gerkin testified that she first met Mazzaglia — who introduced himself as “Lex” — during a “Haunted Halloween” event at the Governor’s Inn in Rochester during the fall of 2011.
“The one who was in control most of the time was Dark Heart,” Gerkin said, adding he also used the personas “Cyrus” and “Doomsday.”
If unchecked and “things didn’t go his way,” Gerkin said “people would be dead.”
“The relationship seemed like the damsel in distress and the rescuer,” Gerkin said, adding McDonough was the damsel who wanted to stay in good standing with Mazzaglia — her rescuer.
“There was a lot of anxiety,” Gerkin said, adding she could have perceived it as jealousy, but it was more anxiety.
McDonough, Mazzaglia’s former girlfriend, is serving 1½ to three years in prison for hindering prosecution and is expected to testify against Mazzaglia as part of a negotiated plea deal.
In Wednesday’s opening statements, defense attorney Joachim Barth told jurors it was McDonough, not Mazzaglia, who killed Marriott during sexual acts of bondage and domination that night.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lancaster man facing more charges in death of neighbor - 0
- Sources say Abigail Hernandez's kidnapper may be indicted Wednesday - 0
- K9 team heads to Pennsylvania to assist in accused cop-killer search - 0
- Former Farmington fire chief indicted on theft charge - 0
- Couple facing charges for 2 Portsmouth robberies - 0
- Nashua caretaker wants evidence suppressed in sexual assault case - 0
- Former coach from Nashua charged in sex assaults claims confession was involuntary - 0
- Manchester police: Ga. man stole truck in Mass. to visit mom in NH - 0
- South African Olympian Pistorius sentenced to five years in girlfriend's murder - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 1
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 0
- Preventing riots: What should Keene do? - 0
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- Residents given Londonderry playing field priority - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 0
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483