Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Getting it right with kids, the comics and the rest of the paper
“Only one chair at a time, Pop-pop?” the kid asked in all seriousness.
His timing was impeccable. I was just about to quit the whole project but I couldn’t very well have the grandson thinking me over the hill. So, after I caught my breath, I went back down and brought up a foam cushion to go with the chair.
I am happy to watch Spike, but my iPhone will be out of his sight. The kid is all of two years old and already thinks all things large or small belong to him.
“I want my iPhone!” Spike shrieked, apparently not seeing the humor in the situation. He will have to learn.
That passion includes pure, unadulterated loathing as well as fondness when it comes to the comics, which is why I may wait awhile before again messing with the natives.
One reader wants to bet $100 that he could find at least one error in every issue in the span of one month.
See you in the funny papers.
Write to Joe McQuaid at Publisher@unionleader.com or on Twitter at @Deucecrew
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Needing answers in Weare: The first step to accountability - 0
- Where terrorists win: The world's one 'kill Americans' zone - 5
- Expanding NH economy: Of energy costs, trains and clowns - 3
- Obama acts illegally: Shaheen parrots his talking points - 60
- Regulations must adapt: Cities cannot squash the new economy - 3
- Offend someone? To jail with you! - 22
- King Obama: Creating a constitutional crisis - 42
- VA wait times: They are still bad - 6
- NH votes matter: A House close to the people - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 0
- On being American: A point for reflection - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 0
- Manchester school exec contract squeaks by - 0
- Dartmouth gets 10 picks on All-Ivy team - 0
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection