Sen. Ayotte criticizes Taliban-U.S. prisoner swap
Ayotte’s concerns are that the exchange could allow the Taliban commanders to reengage in terrorist activities against the U.S. and could encourage the Taliban and other terrorist groups to capture more Americans.
Sen. John McCain and other Republicans also questioned whether the administration had acted properly in releasing the militants Saturday.
On Monday, Reuters reported that Afghan President Hamid Karzai is angry at being kept in the dark over the deal,
“He is asking: How come the prisoner exchange worked out so well, when the Afghan peace process failed to make any significant progress?”
“No government can transfer citizens of a country to a third country as prisoners,” said the statement, issued on behalf of the foreign ministry.
“It’s not behind the government’s back. The government’s known that we’re trying to (do) this for a long time, and they agreed to it and they supported it,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- No Columbus Day celebration, but we'll always have our Festivus poles - 3
- You don't have to be a kid to earn a time-out for your actions - 4
- Publisher's Notebook: Cigars, memories and bending phones - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Not every human gets elected, but that chicken certainly pecked away at the legal system - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: Voting is your stamp on the future - 2
- New faces, proven veterans will assure Union Leader's solid hold on the news - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A tough hike to see AMC 'croo,' but finding 'Quos' made the day - 0
- Publisher's Notebook: The candidate who can spell the name of every 80's sports car wins - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs
School's out for voters