Sen. Ayotte criticizes Taliban-U.S. prisoner swap
Ayotte’s concerns are that the exchange could allow the Taliban commanders to reengage in terrorist activities against the U.S. and could encourage the Taliban and other terrorist groups to capture more Americans.
Sen. John McCain and other Republicans also questioned whether the administration had acted properly in releasing the militants Saturday.
On Monday, Reuters reported that Afghan President Hamid Karzai is angry at being kept in the dark over the deal,
“He is asking: How come the prisoner exchange worked out so well, when the Afghan peace process failed to make any significant progress?”
“No government can transfer citizens of a country to a third country as prisoners,” said the statement, issued on behalf of the foreign ministry.
“It’s not behind the government’s back. The government’s known that we’re trying to (do) this for a long time, and they agreed to it and they supported it,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Peterborough OKs state's largest solar array project - 0
- Settlement reached between Groton Wind and state AG's office - 1
- Peterborough makes plans for state's largest solar array - 0
- Alexandria won't approve permit for wind-power developer - 0
- Windham officials to discuss development - 0
- AMC asking N.E. governors to stop Northern Pass lines - 25
- Alternative routes being laid out for gas pipeline expansion - 1
- NH gas pipeline expansion pushed - 13
- PSNH discount carries a cost: Loyal customers pay more, those who switch offered lower rate - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 1
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH