All Sections

Home | Crime

South Hampton man in custody following altercation with police, massive search

Union Leader Correspondent

June 03. 2014 9:00PM


SOUTH HAMPTON — A local man who police say got into an armed confrontation with police officers and fled was captured at his home after an extensive manhunt by local, state and federal authorities Tuesday night.

State Police Maj. David Parenteau said Kensington police were called to do a welfare check at 81 Highland Ave. in neighboring South Hampton. When the two officers arrived at the home at 4:23 p.m., they encountered Anthony Reardon. Parenteau said the 44-year-old was armed with two firearms, wearing a black helmet and tactical vest.

The officers tried to get him to drop his weapons, but he refused and retreated.

"We believe that they lost sight of him," Parenteau said of the officers, who had yet to be debriefed on the incident.

At some point, Parenteau said Reardon was able to access a running Kensington cruiser. As he was trying to escape in the police vehicle, he rammed into two State Police cruisers, smashing the Kensington cruiser. He then got out of the vehicle and ran off.

Gunshots were reported in the area about 5:30 p.m.; police said they are still determining "who fired what."

No one was injured.

Parenteau said roadblocks were established at points on the major roads in the area, including Route 107, Route 150 and at both ends of Highland Avenue as police combed the area for Reardon.

Parenteau said since Reardon was armed and considered extremely dangerous, more police were called; officers from surrounding communities in New Hampshire and Massachusetts were summoned. The FBI and Secret Service also took part in the effort, he said.

The search eventually led back to the house at 81 Highland Ave., where police were able to use cameras to locate Reardon hiding inside the darkened residence.

"Obviously if we would have known he was in the house, we wouldn’t have spread out as much as we did," Parenteau said.

The decision was made to enter the residence; Reardon was taken into custody without incident, Parenteau said.

He was taken to a local hospital for medical evaluation. Reardon is facing multiple charges, Parenteau said.

Some residents of the area could not reach their homes as roads were blocked off.

Laura Haase, a bookkeeper at James R. Rosencrantz & Son, a farm equipment dealer on Route 107, said four cars of Highland Avenue homeowners were parked in the business’ driveway, as homeowners waited for a police go-ahead to get home.

"All of the residents in that neighborhood were safe," Parenteau said.

"Very grateful no one was hurt and for the great work of all law enforcement officers in the South Hampton area this evening," Gov. Maggie Hassan tweeted shortly after 9:30 p.m.

- - - - - -

Union Leader Staff Writers Tim Buckland and Mark Hayward contributed to this report.

Crime Public Safety Kensington

More Headlines