Home » News » Public Safety
4 suspicious fires in Newport under investigation
Burroughs said the fires are suspicious because they occurred during a short time span and their close proximity to each other. He said at this time in the investigation he is not releasing preliminary findings.
The first three fires caused minor damage. The fire at 24 Sullivan Street, however, destroyed the vacant residential building.
The two other structures firefighters responded to Saturday were also unoccupied, he said.
The New Hampshire State Fire Marshal’s Office and the Sullivan County Attorney’s Office are investigating the fires with police.
The first fire was a dumpster fire at 6 Laurel Street reported at 1:20 a.m.
Then, at 1:35 a.m., an external structure fire was reported at 82 Maple Street.
At 4:30 a.m. a structure fire at 24 Sullivan Street was reported.
Newport police, fire, and EMS departments responded to all four fires with mutual aid from the Croydon, Claremont, Goshen, Sunapee and New London fire departments.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 0
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 5
- Keene police officer on bicycle struck by car - 0
- Antidote carried by NH first responders a life-saver for heroin overdoses - 0
- In neglect cases, indigent parents may lose legal help - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPS driver charged in hit-and-run at Merrimack business - 0
- Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua