Gate City Charter School finds itself outside the Gate City
The school will open on the entire first floor of a multi-tenant building, which is now being renovated by owners Adamain Construction and Development to bring the space up to the code requirements for an elementary school.
While board members were disappointed the new Gate City Charter School will not be located in Gate City, Cevasco said the new site is about a mile from the Nashua border.
Cevasco said school staff will work on arranging car pools for families, and before and after-school programs will be launched to help working parents who will be driving their children to and from school.
The change in locations was an unexpected hurdle for the school that quickly filled its slots for enrollment through a lottery last spring, but also has a long waiting list.
“We were expecting a lot of right-out-of-college teachers,” she said adding that charter school teachers earn significantly less than teachers in public schools.
Cevasco is happy to now be looking ahead to September, and grateful for the support the school has received from the community and especially from Nashua School Superintendent Mark Conrad.
“He told me that important things are never easy,” she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Alderman seeks to halt accidents, install traffic signals at busy Manchester intersection - 4
- Derry board to consider proposal to extend commercial zoning along Route 28 - 0
- Nashua's Broad Street Parkway on track to open August 2015 - 0
- Work to support Sullivan County agriculture made possible with USDA grant - 0
- Claremont to negotiate $1 sale of historic Sawtooth Building - 0
- Hampton board denies appeal in beach condo complaint over AT&T antennas - 0
- Deadline pressure to adopt new Nashua budget - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 5
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride