Talk of tax cap override increases in Manchester
After rejecting one proposed budget Tuesday, the board voted to convene a special meeting Tuesday, June 10 — the deadline under the city charter for a final budget.
Craig said she too is hopeful a consensus could be reached on a final budget.
He said he hoped to meet with the aldermen over this week. “I think everybody should be talking to everybody, so we have consensus and come to a common understanding on what’s best for the city of Manchester,” he said.
During the public comment period at Tuesday’s meeting, several residents urged the aldermen to uphold the tax cap.
But a number of aldermen said they heard from many constituents who are fed up with rising crime and poor roads.
Should the mayor veto the budget or a line item within it and there aren’t enough votes for an override, the aldermen will have until June 30 to muster enough support for a final budget.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 3
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 3
- Pat Buchanan: The high price of papal popularity - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown does not get what 'pro-choice' really means - 15
- Deroy Murdock: Scott Brown's good case for a Republican Senate - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Rise of the Clinton Democrats (not really) - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Kelley Tambouris: I am a Manchester teacher, and I need more support - 23
- Political correctness could wind up killing a lot of Americans - 4
- Charles Krauthammer: Ebola vs. civil liberties - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH Notebook: Ground game is Stony Brook's rock - 0
- The debut of the 'The $30,000 Nutt' - 0
- How stable is this telephone pole? - 0
- Drew Cline: Two weeks before the election, no one is talking about guns - 0
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 0
- Debate rule No. 1: Don't crash - 0
- Obamacare takes center stage at 1st Congressional debate - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Roundup: Londonderry edges Central - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Brummett spurs Derryfield - 0
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison
Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen