Home » News » Public Safety
Sewage odor complaints stop in Derry, but officials monitoring plant
The strong odor was likely caused by an excessive buildup of sludge at the bottom of two lagoons over the unusually frigid winter, Tom Carrier, deputy director of Public Works, said during the Town Council meeting Tuesday night.
In late May, the smell affected Londonderry residents living in the area near Home Depot and Market Basket, Carrier said.
“Fortunately, it’s over,” he said. “We haven’t received any complaints in recent days.”
Derry’s facility is somewhat unique in the state in that it incorporates a system of two large, open lagoons to break down and treat millions of gallons of untreated sewage. Each lagoon is 20 feet deep and contains 42 million gallons. The facility is one of the largest of its kind in the country, Carrier said.
Over the winter, the biological activity decreases, and a layer of sludge builds up and falls to the bottom of the ponds to lie dormant. In the spring, as it becomes warmer, bacteria become active again and begin breaking down the waste. As this process occurs, gases such as hydrogen sulfide, which has a rotten egg-like smell, are produced, Carrier said.
While they are fairly certain about what caused the odor, administrators will continue to review the data to see if there could have been another cause, such as a possible shock overload to the system, Carrier said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 0
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 5
- New Farmington police chief continues to build relationships in the community he’s served for 14 years - 0
- Keene police officer on bicycle struck by car - 0
- Antidote carried by NH first responders a life-saver for heroin overdoses - 0
- In neglect cases, indigent parents may lose legal help - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 8
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out