Manchester panel backs firefighter's hiring
Jon Fosher of Manchester stands by a sculpture at Central Fire Station. He hopes to be hired by the Manchester Fire Department. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
But opponents say aldermen are violating the charter by making hiring decisions, and the city should be following standards. Current standards disqualify people with rods in their backs from being hired as firefighters.
Still, Fosher earned an associate’s degree in fire science. He received certifications for emergency medical technician and Firefighter II, and he passed firefighter physical agility tests.
Fire Chief James Burkush has twice offered Fosher the job, but the physician hired by the city won’t clear him.
A position opened up recently in the Manchester Fire Department with the retirement of District Fire Chief Ed O’Reilly, Burkush said. But he can’t say whether he will hire someone until a city budget is adopted.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Brandon Ross: A sure-fire way to eradicate NH's 'spice' problem - 0
- Another View: Jeanne Shaheen was M.I.A. on VA reform - 24
- Paul Holloway: NH's community colleges prepare for a new era - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: More ways Washington squanders your money - 5
- Pat Buchanan: Let Congress vote on Iraq War III - 1
- Who is minding those who mind the store at NH State House? - 4
- Jonah Goldberg: America's selective Libertarianism - 6
- Charles Krauthammer: Why Hillary got it right - 11
- George Will: President Obama in a stew over inversions - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 6
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist