Friction between Free Keene liberty activists and anti-Free Keene group heats up
“There’s this silly little nonsense over chalking,” Keene police Sgt. James Cemorelis said Thursday. “One group chalks one message, another group chalks another message and another group gets frustrated that the community is littered with this chalk and they go out and wash all the chalk off.”
Police responded to a disturbance in Central Square at 6:43 p.m. on Tuesday to find Matthew Oldershaw, 30, of Keene bleeding from the head. He was taken by ambulance to Cheshire Medical Center. Police said Oldershaw suffered the head injury when another man pushed him into the granite fountain in the square.
About 10 people were in the square that night. Members of the different groups said they don’t know who the assailant is, Cemorelis said.
Free Keene is affiliated with the Libertarian-minded Free State Project.
“With the recent spike in graffiti vandalism in the downtown area, I am requesting a discussion with city staff and the appropriate standing committee to research the possibility of an enforceable graffiti ordinance,” Filiault wrote Tuesday in a letter to fellow councilors.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fleeing hostile states: Gun makers will travel - 6
- Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents - 20
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 6
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 3
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 6
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 7
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 5
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride