Friction between Free Keene liberty activists and anti-Free Keene group heats up
“There’s this silly little nonsense over chalking,” Keene police Sgt. James Cemorelis said Thursday. “One group chalks one message, another group chalks another message and another group gets frustrated that the community is littered with this chalk and they go out and wash all the chalk off.”
Police responded to a disturbance in Central Square at 6:43 p.m. on Tuesday to find Matthew Oldershaw, 30, of Keene bleeding from the head. He was taken by ambulance to Cheshire Medical Center. Police said Oldershaw suffered the head injury when another man pushed him into the granite fountain in the square.
About 10 people were in the square that night. Members of the different groups said they don’t know who the assailant is, Cemorelis said.
Free Keene is affiliated with the Libertarian-minded Free State Project.
“With the recent spike in graffiti vandalism in the downtown area, I am requesting a discussion with city staff and the appropriate standing committee to research the possibility of an enforceable graffiti ordinance,” Filiault wrote Tuesday in a letter to fellow councilors.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 55
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 50
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 46
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 73
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
- Russian troops capture key Ukrainian town - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return