WWII vets recall the invasion that turned the tide of history
Army Sgt. Oliver Thomas Carver, 89, of Litchfield, is shown in this World War II-era photo. (COURTESY)
“There was no questioning anything on D-Day. We were there because we were supposed to be there. Many of us enlisted to try to get there. We all felt an obligation to our country and our allies,” said Mozer, who was not part of the D-Day landing.
The Howes were both raised in Sanbornton. After the war, they opened a small store in the Gaza part of town; Clayton Howe died in 2000.
But her eyes brightened as she told of her husband’s drive with his 2nd Armored Brigade to the Battle of the Bulge and later to meet Russian soldiers in the capture of Berlin.
Carver remembers crossing the English Channel to an almost indescribable sight.
Howe said she was training on an Army base in the states when D-Day occurred. It took weeks, even months before people stateside heard the full details of the attack, she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 2
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 6
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 4
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
- Ryan Pitts: Reluctant hero - 0
- Relief and questions: Abby Hernandez returns home - 0
- Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law - 61
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: At Zaboo, 'You'll fit right in ...' - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH