WWII vets recall the invasion that turned the tide of history
Army Sgt. Oliver Thomas Carver, 89, of Litchfield, is shown in this World War II-era photo. (COURTESY)
“There was no questioning anything on D-Day. We were there because we were supposed to be there. Many of us enlisted to try to get there. We all felt an obligation to our country and our allies,” said Mozer, who was not part of the D-Day landing.
The Howes were both raised in Sanbornton. After the war, they opened a small store in the Gaza part of town; Clayton Howe died in 2000.
But her eyes brightened as she told of her husband’s drive with his 2nd Armored Brigade to the Battle of the Bulge and later to meet Russian soldiers in the capture of Berlin.
Carver remembers crossing the English Channel to an almost indescribable sight.
Howe said she was training on an Army base in the states when D-Day occurred. It took weeks, even months before people stateside heard the full details of the attack, she said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 64
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 4
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 56
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 57
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 73
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test