Wilton elementary school construction set to begin
Construction is set to begin on the Florence Rideout Elementary School in Wilton as part of a school consolidation project with Lyndeborough. Kathleen Baglio Humphreys
“On Monday, as the students leave school for the summer, the construction workers will go in to get ready for demolition,” said Harry Daily, Wilton-Lyndeborough School Board member.
In September 2015, when all three phases are complete, the school in Wilton will educate grades 1-5 while the pre-K and kindergarten students will attend classes in Lyndeborough.
The towns share a cooperative middle and high school but were financially responsible for the elementary school located within their town borders until voters changed that in March 2014 to allow the elementary schools to be consolidated, paving the way to vote on the addition and renovation project.
“Wilton needed to spend a lot of money to fix their school, the question was what made the most sense for each district and for each town,” said Geoff Brock, Wilton-Lyndeborough School Board chairman. “The school board’s opinion was it was the best option to consolidate the elementary schools due to declining enrollment plus it will allow more flexibility for class sizes, curriculum and teacher support.”
“Now that we are a fully consolidated district, all school expenses will be shared by both towns according to the formula,” said Brock.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three named to Manchester school posts - 0
- Derry Early Education Program to relocate - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 2
- Nashua school staff see tests as key to tracking student growth - 0
- Two Manchester schools off 'priority' list - 0
- Nashua officials seek advice on issue of student cellphone searches vs. privacy - 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 2
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 3
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 2
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 4
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'