ATV circuit system throughout NH's northernmost towns is a trial for some
Some are camp owners who had no real say in the town meeting votes to give this trail system a try. Some are homeowners who moved here to enjoy a house on a quiet country road and now feel like they're living alongside Interstate 93.
I have an ATV, purchased years ago for farm work. I'm a founding member of the Metallak ATV Club, based in Colebrook, and I've volunteered to help out with trail patrol. Those seeking to create a gigantic circular trail system (meaning you could park and unload your rig in any of the dozen or so towns and extend your trip for as many days as you want and come right back to your vehicle) know that just as in the early days of snowmobiling, they must rein in law-flouting rogue riders or they will lose the support and commitment of landowners. And that will be it. Finis.
Sandy Young, Don Tase and I had gone in on snowmobiles and snowshoes, trying to find the little hardwood knoll that Vickie Bunnell and I had flagged years before. We did, and lounged around there for a lunch break.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Next sign-up begins Aug. 11 for community-supported fishery - 0
- Energy Commission lays out roadmap for improving efficiency - 0
- A taste of the Old West in Pelham at The Great Nor'easter - 0
- Salem board gives OK for expanded funeral home parking - 0
- Senior News: Lifelong Learning Institute plans fall class previews - 0
- John Harrigan's Woods, Water & Wildlife: Pigs, ATV update and the bear facts - 0
- Tapped into flavor at Manchester's Summer Fest - 1
- More than 3,000 school backpacks distributed during the One Day of Community in Manchester - 0
- Sails, strategy and Sunapee sunsets; Cruising Fleet sailors enjoy friendly competition - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
LNG plant put 'on hold'
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
20140728-Dover patient shocked by $3,766 Wentworth-Douglass charged insurer for tube of cold sore cream
Cabrera, Blue Jays trounce fading Red Sox