No charges expected against Northfield 'Egg Man' after rescue of horses
A volunteer at the Live and Let Live Farm in Chichester tends to a rescued stallion Friday. (Ryan O'Connor)
Northfield Police made the announcement Tuesday, while asking for the public’s help in caring for the horses, which had been living in alleged unhealthy conditions in a dilapidated barn on the 85 Zion Hill Road property of 90-year-old Bert Southwick, who delivered eggs to local residents by horse-drawn cart for 75 years, before recently retiring because of declining health.
The horses, which are in need of care, are also being monitored for potential internal parasites and respiratory issues. Two large hogs, including a pregnant sow, were also rescued and taken to another location.
The farm is a registered 501c3 organization operated by hundreds of volunteers, dozens of which helped with the Northfield rescue, and Paradis said the costs rise rapidly, especially when it comes to horse care.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where terrorists win: The world's one 'kill Americans' zone - 5
- Expanding NH economy: Of energy costs, trains and clowns - 3
- Obama acts illegally: Shaheen parrots his talking points - 56
- Regulations must adapt: Cities cannot squash the new economy - 3
- Offend someone? To jail with you! - 22
- King Obama: Creating a constitutional crisis - 42
- VA wait times: They are still bad - 6
- NH votes matter: A House close to the people - 2
- Power shortage: Our environmentalism tax - 18
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Tough task for NH budget writers
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated
Paul, Christie share lead in primary poll