Home » News » Public Safety
Bridge set to close for repairs next month in Wilton
Work began on Monday to rebuild the Island Street Bridge in Wilton. For now vehicles can use the bridge, which will be down to one lane. The bridge will be closed starting July 7 and plans to reopen on August 18. (Kathleen Baglio Humphreys)
“It’s a state bridge and on the list to be repaired or rebuilt. They will replace the bridge,” said Wilton Selectman Kermit Williams. The state will pick up the cost.The work includes replacing the deck, replacing the bearings that hold the steel girders and repair or replace the abutment face, new sidewalks, curbs and railings.
One potential traffic nightmare is truck traffic running down Main Street. Currently, trucks are banned from Main Street and required to use the bridge. The storefront of Main Street has angled parking while the Town Hall side of the street has parallel parking, allowing very little room if two 18-wheeler trucks need to pass while cars are parked on both sides of the street.
“We will have a ceremony when the bridge reopens,” added Selectman Williams.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Motorcyclist suffers minor injuries in Saturday crash in Laconia - 0
- 18-year-old located with mother, brother on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Two killed in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- New fire training facility proposed in Nashua - 0
- 2 die in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- NH police on lookout for drunken drivers - 5
- Marine Patrol called to multiple crashes - 0
- Hiker rescued on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
The JV team: Obama's unbelievable admission
Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate
'Our job is to rebuild that middle class'