Home » News » Politics » State Government
Shurtleff announces run for House speaker to replace Norelli
Shurtleff pledged to work with those across the political aisle as current Speaker Terie Norelli, D-Portsmouth, has done to accomplish Medicaid expansion, greater protections for victims of domestic violence, a settlement with hospitals on the Medicaid Enhancement Tax and increased economic security for working families.
He said he strives to be fair to everyone regardless of party.
And he said about 72 percent of democratic incumbents are running for reelection.
Chandler said he wants to be part of making New Hampshire a proud and prosperous state.
Another former House speaker, William O’Brien, R-Mont Vernon, said he will seek the post as well. O’Brien was speaker during the 2011-12 legislative session when Republicans held three-fourths of the House seats and 19 of 24 Senate seats.
She said it is time for new blood to lead the House.
“As we look towards 2014 and beyond, it’s time for a new conservative leader who has demonstrated the skills, leadership and presence to bring our party together,” Sanborn said when she announced.
Each party caucus will vote for its choice for speaker, and the House will vote on organization day for the new speaker.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua Airport divisiveness prompts request for liaison - 0
- Nashua aldermen to consider communication upgrades - 0
- Bronstein Park policy questioned by NHCLU official - 5
- Derry gets grant for new scrap metal recycling trailer - 0
- Goffstown CIP committee wraps up for year, sends work to planning board - 0
- Derry councilors narrow list for town administrator post - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Manchester mayor seeks to restrict use of park - 12
- Rockingham County attorney candidates talk leadership at forum - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner