Home » News » Politics » State Government
Shurtleff announces run for House speaker to replace Norelli
Shurtleff pledged to work with those across the political aisle as current Speaker Terie Norelli, D-Portsmouth, has done to accomplish Medicaid expansion, greater protections for victims of domestic violence, a settlement with hospitals on the Medicaid Enhancement Tax and increased economic security for working families.
He said he strives to be fair to everyone regardless of party.
And he said about 72 percent of democratic incumbents are running for reelection.
Chandler said he wants to be part of making New Hampshire a proud and prosperous state.
Another former House speaker, William O’Brien, R-Mont Vernon, said he will seek the post as well. O’Brien was speaker during the 2011-12 legislative session when Republicans held three-fourths of the House seats and 19 of 24 Senate seats.
She said it is time for new blood to lead the House.
“As we look towards 2014 and beyond, it’s time for a new conservative leader who has demonstrated the skills, leadership and presence to bring our party together,” Sanborn said when she announced.
Each party caucus will vote for its choice for speaker, and the House will vote on organization day for the new speaker.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ryan Pitts: Reluctant hero - 0
- Relief and questions: Abby Hernandez returns home - 0
- Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law - 56
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 3
- Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal - 33
- Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility - 8
- What Bartlett left: A Founding Father mostly forgotten - 1
- Hang Havenstein! He once quoted the President - 4
- Obama's priority: Raising money - 36
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
- Cheshire Historical Society receives nearly $1 million - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health