Home » News » Politics » State Government
Shurtleff announces run for House speaker to replace Norelli
Shurtleff pledged to work with those across the political aisle as current Speaker Terie Norelli, D-Portsmouth, has done to accomplish Medicaid expansion, greater protections for victims of domestic violence, a settlement with hospitals on the Medicaid Enhancement Tax and increased economic security for working families.
He said he strives to be fair to everyone regardless of party.
And he said about 72 percent of democratic incumbents are running for reelection.
Chandler said he wants to be part of making New Hampshire a proud and prosperous state.
Another former House speaker, William O’Brien, R-Mont Vernon, said he will seek the post as well. O’Brien was speaker during the 2011-12 legislative session when Republicans held three-fourths of the House seats and 19 of 24 Senate seats.
She said it is time for new blood to lead the House.
“As we look towards 2014 and beyond, it’s time for a new conservative leader who has demonstrated the skills, leadership and presence to bring our party together,” Sanborn said when she announced.
Each party caucus will vote for its choice for speaker, and the House will vote on organization day for the new speaker.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Library namesake rescued from the vault: Elenora Blood Carpenter gets her rightful place - 2
- Roadside directives aren't always as helpful as they should be - 1
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- A Deep South college town carries his name, but NH's general is no local fixture - 2
- After the election is over, the signs remain - 4
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Shelters provide stable places to rebuild lives - 0
- School's out for voters - 3
- How stable is this telephone pole? - 0
- Tenants, landlords trumped by persistent bedbugs - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads