U.S. quietly moves detainees out of secretive Afghanistan prison
The secret transfers underscore the challenges the Obama administration faces in shutting down Parwan and, more importantly, the larger U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay on Cuba. Many of the detainees have not been charged with a crime, but their release could trigger a political backlash.
Last month, the Defense Department provided U.S. lawmakers with a classified report on the identities of the detainees.
Pakistani officials have said that returned detainees would be kept under surveillance to make sure they had no militant links. Prisoner advocates say at least some returned detainees were held in secret prisons in Pakistan before being set free.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Annie Kuster has the distinction of being John Bolton's first ad target - 9
- Drew Cline: Bob Smith's three 'p's': Principle, platform, party - 4
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 18
- Drew Cline: Dan Innis is no political lightweight - 3
- Drew Cline: A Libertarian plays devil's advocate in U.S. Senate race - 3
- Drew Cline: Eric Cantor, 'Game of Thrones,' and the selling of NH politics - 15
- Drew Cline: In the State House, a weakening check on NH government - 1
- Drew Cline: Street cred and endorsements in the U.S. Senate primary - 2
- Drew Cline: Will Derry provide Senate Republican primary fireworks again? - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Patriots Notebook: Physical Browner brings it - 0
- Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse - 2
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 1
- Punch line: The NFL blows it - 1
- George Will: A conservative internationalism - 0
- Sox Beat: Red Sox haven't made a deal for Lester — yet - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The Democrats' cynical impeachment play - 0
- Drew Cline: Home is where the really competent governing is done - 1
- Two GOP heavyweights try to get NH fired up about 2014 elections - 0
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of it
George Will: A conservative internationalism