Officials say dog likely started Deering blaze by turning on stove
DEERING — Two dogs died in a mobile home fire after one of the animals apparently turned on the stove while its owners were out, according to the fire chief.
Deering Fire Chief James Tramontozzi said the source of Saturday’s fire at Longwoods Mobile Home Park was food left on a stove.
“It appears one of the dogs turned on the stove, which ignited the food,” Tramontozzi said Sunday. “It’s a little unusual, but it appears pretty cut and dried at this point that’s what the cause was.”
Tramontozzi said his crews were dispatched to 47 Martin Road around 3:35 p.m. after a neighbor reported seeing smoke and flames in a mobile home. Firefighters put out the flames in under an hour, and kept the blaze from spreading to other homes.
Tramontozzi said he did not know the names of the dogs, but one appeared to be a Siberian husky and the other a beagle.
“Both dogs were taken out of the home and CPR performed on them, but they perished as a result of injuries sustained from the smoke and flames,” Tramontozzi said.
Tramontozzi said his department did not have a record of who was living at the home. Deering police said they did not immediately have a name of residents at 47 Martin Road. A number listed online for the Longwoods Mobile Home Park is no longer in service.
“It suffered significant damage,” Tramontozzi said of the mobile home. “We’re not sure if it’s salvageable right now. We’ll know more after an inspector gets down there Monday.”