Officials say Gilmanton fire started by faulty light fixtureBy DAN SEUFERT
Union Leader Correspondent
June 16. 2014 8:41PM
GILMANTON – Firefighters from this town and 12 area communities spent more than two hours late Monday afternoon saving a house from a two-alarm fire that apparently started in a faulty second-floor light fixture.
Damage to the home was limited to about $50,000, according to fire department Lt. Dennis Comeau.
“It took a while but we were able to save most of it,” Comeau said.
No one was hurt.
Firefighters were called to 436 Loon Pond Road at 3:46 p.m. after the owner of the home arrived and found smoke coming from the second floor of the 1½-story building.
“The first ones there saw smoke coming from the building” and called for a first alarm, Comeau said, which was later followed by a call for a second alarm.
Comeau would not identify the homeowner.
The homeowner was renovating the building and not occupying it, he said. When he reported the fire, a fire dispatcher told the homeowner to get to safety.
"He called and said the place was filling the place, and he was advised to get out of the home,” he said.
Firefighters found the fire centered in the eaves of the second floor, and were able to confine it to the second-floor roof. The second alarm was needed, though, because the fire was so stubborn and in a place that was hard to reach – between an old wooden roof and a new metal roof that had been put on the building in recent years, Comeau said.
Crews climbed ladders to the roof of the house and tore much of it off, finding fire in the space between the roofs, he said. They found the apparent cause in the process.
“It appears at this time that the fire started in a faulty light fixture, but the fire is still under investigation,” he said.
Town firefighters were joined by firefighters from Belmont, Chichester, Pittsfield, Loudon, Canterbury, Alton, Tilton-Northfield, Sanbornton, Gilford, Franklin, and Laconia in the effort.