Home » News » Public Safety
Salem water main break snarls traffic on Route 28
The road might not be repaired until the end of the day, according to Lt. Michael C. Kelly.
The break was reported at 2:30 a.m. on Route 28, specifically in front of 265 South Broadway. The north and southbound lanes of traffic buckled and motorists had to be detoured around the area, according to police.
Police said the Salem Department of Public Works indicated there is a significant water main break and, as a result, there will be a serious impact on the morning commute and possibly afternoon/evening commute.
About 6 a.m., Route 28 southbound lanes in the affected area were reconfigured to allow one lane each of north and south traffic. Police set up cones to divide the southbound lanes to allow for the two-way traffic. Officers are on site directing traffic.
Police warn, however, that motorists can expect a lengthy traffic delay in and around the area and ask for the public's patience.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 1
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH