Home » News » Public Safety
Salem water main break snarls traffic on Route 28
The road might not be repaired until the end of the day, according to Lt. Michael C. Kelly.
The break was reported at 2:30 a.m. on Route 28, specifically in front of 265 South Broadway. The north and southbound lanes of traffic buckled and motorists had to be detoured around the area, according to police.
Police said the Salem Department of Public Works indicated there is a significant water main break and, as a result, there will be a serious impact on the morning commute and possibly afternoon/evening commute.
About 6 a.m., Route 28 southbound lanes in the affected area were reconfigured to allow one lane each of north and south traffic. Police set up cones to divide the southbound lanes to allow for the two-way traffic. Officers are on site directing traffic.
Police warn, however, that motorists can expect a lengthy traffic delay in and around the area and ask for the public's patience.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
- Epsom trucker, 65, killed in I-93 crash in Salem - 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
- Crews on scene of accident on I-93 in Salem - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 1
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Tough task for NH budget writers
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated
Paul, Christie share lead in primary poll
NH senators react to Hagel resignation