Home » News » Public Safety
Salem water main break snarls traffic on Route 28
The road might not be repaired until the end of the day, according to Lt. Michael C. Kelly.
The break was reported at 2:30 a.m. on Route 28, specifically in front of 265 South Broadway. The north and southbound lanes of traffic buckled and motorists had to be detoured around the area, according to police.
Police said the Salem Department of Public Works indicated there is a significant water main break and, as a result, there will be a serious impact on the morning commute and possibly afternoon/evening commute.
About 6 a.m., Route 28 southbound lanes in the affected area were reconfigured to allow one lane each of north and south traffic. Police set up cones to divide the southbound lanes to allow for the two-way traffic. Officers are on site directing traffic.
Police warn, however, that motorists can expect a lengthy traffic delay in and around the area and ask for the public's patience.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 4
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 11
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 7
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 15
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it