Home » News » Public Safety
Salem water main break snarls traffic on Route 28
The road might not be repaired until the end of the day, according to Lt. Michael C. Kelly.
The break was reported at 2:30 a.m. on Route 28, specifically in front of 265 South Broadway. The north and southbound lanes of traffic buckled and motorists had to be detoured around the area, according to police.
Police said the Salem Department of Public Works indicated there is a significant water main break and, as a result, there will be a serious impact on the morning commute and possibly afternoon/evening commute.
About 6 a.m., Route 28 southbound lanes in the affected area were reconfigured to allow one lane each of north and south traffic. Police set up cones to divide the southbound lanes to allow for the two-way traffic. Officers are on site directing traffic.
Police warn, however, that motorists can expect a lengthy traffic delay in and around the area and ask for the public's patience.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 12-hour effort needed to get Mass. hiker off Mt. Adams - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge was local woman - 0
- Woman gets speeding ticket, then crashes into guard rail - 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not your standard victory - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem