Home » News » Public Safety
Salem water main break snarls traffic on Route 28
The road might not be repaired until the end of the day, according to Lt. Michael C. Kelly.
The break was reported at 2:30 a.m. on Route 28, specifically in front of 265 South Broadway. The north and southbound lanes of traffic buckled and motorists had to be detoured around the area, according to police.
Police said the Salem Department of Public Works indicated there is a significant water main break and, as a result, there will be a serious impact on the morning commute and possibly afternoon/evening commute.
About 6 a.m., Route 28 southbound lanes in the affected area were reconfigured to allow one lane each of north and south traffic. Police set up cones to divide the southbound lanes to allow for the two-way traffic. Officers are on site directing traffic.
Police warn, however, that motorists can expect a lengthy traffic delay in and around the area and ask for the public's patience.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
- Three-alarm fire heavily damages Franklin store - 0
- 74-year-old woman suffers serious injuries in hit-and-run incident in Windham - 0
- Grandmother charged in ATV crash with tot - 1
- ATV flips in Alton with 3-year-old on board - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man accused of cutting wife’s throat committed to psychiatric hospital - 1
- Two may have stabbed each other in Concord parking garage incident, police say - 0
- Manchester joyride in a stolen truck lands two in handcuffs - 0
- High School Football Power Poll: Some shuffling in the middle - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Pamela Diamantis: USNH’s tuition freeze offer is good for NH’s future - 1
- Crosstown Variety Store robbed in Manchester - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio: A well-earned celebration for Sox. - 0
- A’s earn their way into postseason play - 0
Dover man's nightmare lesson for everyone
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH
Personhood Controversial? Really?
License revocations for DWI announced