Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester chief Mara selected as one of four finalists for Somerville, Mass., post
He said the job in Somerville is a good opportunity for him and he’s proud to be a finalist. He also stressed that he “is still committed to the men and women of the Manchester Police Department and the city of Manchester.”
Mayor Ted Gatsas said Mara “has been an outstanding chief” and didn’t want to comment Monday about the possibility of Mara leaving his post.
Mara and the three other finalists will take part in a citywide interview next Wednesday at the Somerville City Hall at 6:30 p.m. According to the Somerville, Mass., website, Director of the Somerville Office of Commissions Sonja Darai is to serve as the moderator for the hearing. Each finalist will have the opportunity to give a five-minute opening statement, and two minutes to answer questions submitted by the public.
After the public hearing, the Police Chief Search Committee will submit a written assessment of each candidate to Somerville Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone for consideration. Curtatone will meet with each of the finalists in the two days following the public hearing.
The city’s website says Mara and the other finalists were selected from a pool of 38 candidates after former Somerville police chief, Thomas Pasquarello, stepped down in 2013.
Mara has been part of the Manchester Police Department for 28 years and its chief since 2008. Two of the other three finalists are part of the Somerville force; the third is chief in Hamden, Conn.
Michael Cabral is the Somerville police deputy chief of support, David Fallon is the Somerville police deputy chief of operations, and Thomas Wydra is chief in Hamden.
Mara served as a patrol officer from 1986 to 1995 before obtaining his law degree by taking night classes at New England School of Law.
He has also served as a prosecutor and the administrative captain in charge of the department’s legal division.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
- Stewart probe goes on - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help