Home » News » Public Safety
Chief's son set to join Manchester police force
Matthew Mara is among the 14 new police officers that are to be sworn in a special ceremony on July 7 at the Radisson Hotel in downtown Manchester.
Mara is currently being considered for the top cop position in Somerville, Mass. He is among four finalists for the position and is to participate in a public interview next Wednesday.
Matthew Mara recently joined the Hampton Police Department as a part-time officer.
In response to a call from a reporter seeking Matthew Mara, a dispatcher there initially said she was unfamiliar with the name. She later said “he just started” and was unavailable. “He must be brand new,” she said. “He’s part-time and doesn’t have a regular schedule just yet. He was probably on a ride along.”
The last five certified officers hired by the Manchester Police Department, who were sworn in April 7, had at least one year’s experience with other police departments; one had seven years’ experience.
Wieczorek added that he didn’t think family ties between employees posed a problem as long as the new hires were qualified. “It would be of great concern, if they were not qualified,” he said, “But if you pass all the tests — and they do take some pretty rigorous tests to graduate from the police academy — and you are physically fit and feel you can do the job ... you shouldn’t be penalized because you’re related.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
- Stewart probe goes on - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate