Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
Gang rivalry at center or three recent Manchester shooting incidents
The scene of a shooting in Manchester, in the area of Spruce and Lincoln streets. (Pat Grossmith/Union Leader)
Velez Jr. is reportedly a member of the “180” gang, while Weekly is a member of OTL — the Orange to Laurel streets gang. Both Velez Sr. and Velez Jr. were arrested in connection with the melee that drew a crowd of about 30 people and required 18 officers and 30 minutes to quell.
Police have not said what is at the heart of the dispute but in the ensuing months, violence has escalated into shootings between the rival gangs.
That includes two special, two-man patrol cars to deal with issues in the affected neighborhoods, and added patrols Thursday through Friday in the area of downtown nightclubs.
“They’re working on different staffing procedures,” he said, noting that 14 more police officers will be sworn in on July 7. “Certainly, it’s important that we do everything we can to curtail it.”
“We need stricter laws on guns. There’s too much “Live Free or Die,” said the woman while holding her baby son.
“I grew up in Lowell, Mass.,” he said. “So this is a paradise compared to where I grew up.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- $50k bail for two charged with beating pizza delivery man - 0
- Latest round of riot arrests includes 5 Keene State students - 0
- Suspected Pa. cop-killer Eric Frein taken into custody - 0
- Anonymous tip leads to arrest of moose poacher - 0
- Victim in Hampton pedestrian crash files lawsuit against driver, town and state - 0
- Dover police say man broke into same business three times - 0
- Two more Keene State College students charged in riots - 1
- Two Keene State students among three newest riot arrests - 1
- Man charged with robbing Rochester bank while wearing zebra-print dress is arraigned - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Campbell boys pull upset - 0
- Marchand scores 2, B's win - 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 16
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483