Veterans urged to help push Congress for private care
The Senate and House passed similar measures that are in a conference committee to settle on one bill. A provision inserted by Ayotte, a Republican and Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, a New Hampshire Democrat, would allow veterans in states without full-service Veterans Administration hospitals to seek care from private providers if they live more than 20 miles from the nearest VA. That would include nearly all veterans in New Hampshire, Ayotte said.
“The mayor should not be able to get any speedier access than any vet,” Gatsas said.
“It’s an option we don’t have,” he said in an interview.
He said he has visited friends at the VA Center in the Boston area and seeing people locally would be “a lot better, let alone the mileage (saved).”
“We all know that our veterans have the experience and unique skill set, including a penchant for leadership, collaboration and hard work that is an asset to any employer,” said Hassan, who announced she was in the process of joining the ladies auxiliary. (Ayotte said she is a lifetime member.)
Receiving the legion’s law enforcement officer of the year award was Manchester police Sgt. Brandon Murphy. The 10-year department veteran applied a tourniquet to the bleeding leg of fellow officer Dan Doherty, who was shot in March 2012.
Manchester police Chief Dave Mara praised Murphy, a current SWAT team leader, who also helped hunt for the Boston Marathon bombing suspects in Massachusetts last year.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 1
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Stopping the worst people on earth - 0
- Lynn Preston's NH Legal Perspectives: What prospective real estate purchasers need to know - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: 'Mirror' approach reflects important role of humans in dog training - 0
- Thomas Sowell: The media and the mob - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
GOP for legal pot? Supporters of legalization rallying behind NH gubernatorial candidate Hemingway
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner