Manchester police looking at a possible shift in Maras
Ward 12 Alderman Keith Hirschmann, for one, told his colleagues that they should waste no time in preparing to search for a new police chief.
This was a dig at Mara's Achilles' heel: the fact that he's made his home in Bedford, far away from the mean streets of Manchester.
It may come as no surprise that Alderman-At-Large Joe Kelly Levasseur has lots of questions about the hiring, particularly about whether Mara's son meets the qualifications for the job.
The issue could reignite the long-running feud between Levasseur and the police. The conflict had only recently subsided after the men in blue called for his ouster earlier this year following a state attorney general report that concluded the alderman had made unfounded allegations of police intimidation.
The board's Buildings and Sites Committee met on Tuesday to discuss the improvement list, not for the fiscal year beginning July 1, however, but for the next budget year.
"If people are delaying (buying a car), you've got to pay the piper eventually," he said.
Maybe it's time for an upgrade.
Ted Siefer is the City Hall reporter for the New Hampshire Union Leader and New Hampshire Sunday News. He may be reached at email@example.com and followed on Twitter @tbsreporter.
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Mayor's race shaping up to be a historic one - 5
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Driver's ed program had been run into the ditch - 2
- Proposed tuition rates met with silence in Hooksett - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Manchester residents made it their business to vote - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Teacher patience tested over how students are assessed - 6
- City hall: Police officer residency issue will have to be dealt with - 4
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Levasseur back on MPD's case, but this time with numbers - 6
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Concerns about Ebola part of aldermen's discussion - 4
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Manchester aldermen, public in dark on school intruder - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former New London police chief settles with female accuser - 0
- Alleged parental kidnapper arraigned, ordered held on $250,000 cash bail - 0
- Reports: Celtics near completion of Rondo deal - 0
- Grid coach Cote, BG go their separate ways - 0
- Former owners of 'casualty' of Northern Pass file appeal - 0
- Holiday sales may recover with help of deep discounts - 0
- Wall Street has best 2-day gain since 2011 on Fed optimism - 0
- State Employees Association declares impasse in bargaining - 2
- Shipyard to hire 715 in next year - 1
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs