Manchester police looking at a possible shift in Maras
Ward 12 Alderman Keith Hirschmann, for one, told his colleagues that they should waste no time in preparing to search for a new police chief.
This was a dig at Mara's Achilles' heel: the fact that he's made his home in Bedford, far away from the mean streets of Manchester.
It may come as no surprise that Alderman-At-Large Joe Kelly Levasseur has lots of questions about the hiring, particularly about whether Mara's son meets the qualifications for the job.
The issue could reignite the long-running feud between Levasseur and the police. The conflict had only recently subsided after the men in blue called for his ouster earlier this year following a state attorney general report that concluded the alderman had made unfounded allegations of police intimidation.
The board's Buildings and Sites Committee met on Tuesday to discuss the improvement list, not for the fiscal year beginning July 1, however, but for the next budget year.
"If people are delaying (buying a car), you've got to pay the piper eventually," he said.
Maybe it's time for an upgrade.
Ted Siefer is the City Hall reporter for the New Hampshire Union Leader and New Hampshire Sunday News. He may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and followed on Twitter @tbsreporter.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Drivers education to science, meeting all about the kids - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Levasseur denies conflict of interest; feathers could fly - 4
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Aldermen see familiar face; MPD 'smacked' for its actions - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Schools, consolidation ideas and tears mark aldermanic session - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Gatsas continues job-consolidation mantra - 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Video machines and gambling: What gambling? - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: 'Sexting' episode on Facebook becomes topic in real world - 13
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Manchester Supt. Livingston won't explain modified school standards - 0
- Manchester aldermen go extra, roundabout mile to see firefighter hired - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 10
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua