Home » Opinion » Editorials
Free lunch for all! 'Thriving' ride to Boston
"Subsidy Ok'd for thriving bus line," read the Union Leader headline.
Why would something that is thriving need a subsidy? The Boston Express bus needs more taxpayer money because, the governor and Council were told last week, more people are riding its buses down I-93 and Route 3 to work in Boston.
So if it is so popular with riders, why not just increase the fare to actual cost levels and leave the taxpayer alone?
Right. If you charge what it really costs to operate a business and make a profit, the business might not be so "thriving."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hostages held in Australia Lindt Cafe, forced to hold Islamic flag in window - 0
- Iraq presses Hagel for greater U.S. military support against ISIS - 0
- Graphic report on CIA interrogations, torture released by Senate Democrats - 10
- U.S., South African hostages in Yemen killed in rescue attempt by U.S. SEAL team - 1
- Islamic State targeted in 17 air strikes by U.S., allies - 0
- ISIS kills US aid worker who had been held hostage - 0
- NH Guard members buoyed by deployment ceremony - 0
- U.S. helicopters return to combat missions in Iraq - 0
- Video: British hostage beheaded by ISIS - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK? - 0
- Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week - 0
- Asking about marriage: The Census should keep doing it - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Boys' Basketball Preview: Memorial, Central look to be in the mix again - 0
- Innovations abound at UNH event - 0
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Monarchs head to Portland Wednesday - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Pembroke girls rally to win - 0
Bush 41, 43 and ... 45?
Another View -- Ross Gittell and Jeremy Hitchcock: By focusing on student success, NH community colleges prove their value
Another View -- David Scannell: A justified federal civil rights action in Manchester's schools
Taxi fail: City regulations don't work
All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so
Rival NH Republican caucus seeks own voice
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK?
Police arrest pair after bullets fly