Home » Opinion » Editorials
Free lunch for all! 'Thriving' ride to Boston
"Subsidy Ok'd for thriving bus line," read the Union Leader headline.
Why would something that is thriving need a subsidy? The Boston Express bus needs more taxpayer money because, the governor and Council were told last week, more people are riding its buses down I-93 and Route 3 to work in Boston.
So if it is so popular with riders, why not just increase the fare to actual cost levels and leave the taxpayer alone?
Right. If you charge what it really costs to operate a business and make a profit, the business might not be so "thriving."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Obama to expand airstrikes to Syria, vows to destroy Islamic State 'wherever they exist' - 54
- Gov. Hassan orders flags to half-staff to mark 9/11 anniversary - 1
- U.S. expands attacks on Islamic State - 0
- Manchester High School West graduate completes Air Force training in San Antonio, Texas - 0
- Federal funding shortfall curtails National Guard drills - 1
- Secretary of Defense says more than 100 Americans fighting with Islamic State - 0
- Kimball Union mourns murder of alum by militant group - 3
- UPDATED: Islamic State issues video of beheading of US hostage, SITE monitoring service says - 4
- 5 from NH graduate from Air Force training; 2 with NH ties complete Army basic training - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man stabbed in leg in Manchester incident - 0
- Senate sustains Hassan veto of bill to revamp juvenile justice system - 0
- Possible negotiated plea for Nashua dad accused of negligent homicide in son's death - 0
- Amherst man facing charges in August Merrimack accident - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Brown calls on Shaheen to back bill targeting ISIS - 4
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid is identified - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Football Power Poll; Who's No. 1 this week? - 0
In 2nd District race, Garcia bucks Obamacare
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Find the hidden cash stashed downtown
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
20140915-Adam Sandler reflects on his and Chris Farley’s firing from ‘SNL': ‘It hurt a lot’
Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats