Home » News » Public Safety
Man suffers life-threatening injuries after cutting into propane cylinder
The man, whom fire officials would not identify, was cutting into the propane cylinder which he apparently thought was free of the explosive gas, said Tilton-Northfield Fire Department Capt. Timothy Ames.
Gas in the cylinder exploded, burning the man severely and causing a small fire at the site of the explosion, he said.
“He was cutting into it with the intention of recycling it,” Ames said. “I don’t think he does it for a living, but there were a few propane (cylinders) there that he had cut into.”
Ames said the man is a “late 30-year-old” who may live in the area of the 25 Granite St. home where the incident occurred.
Fire crews were called to the scene at about 9:30 p.m. for a report of an outside fire with burn injuries to one person’s face.
Ames would not comment on whether the man was conscious and alert when firefighters arrived on the scene. He said the man’s injuries were severe and life-threatening.
“When someone has burns to the upper body that severe, it is considered severe and life-threatening,” he said.
The man was taken to Franklin Regional Hospital from which a helicopter airlifted him to a hospital to the south of town, said Ames, who said he wasn’t sure which hospital to which the man was sent.
There was no significant fire on the scene, Ames said.
Franklin fire crews assisted by taking medical calls for the Tilton-Northfield Fire Department, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket