Home » News » Public Safety
Man suffers life-threatening injuries after cutting into propane cylinder
The man, whom fire officials would not identify, was cutting into the propane cylinder which he apparently thought was free of the explosive gas, said Tilton-Northfield Fire Department Capt. Timothy Ames.
Gas in the cylinder exploded, burning the man severely and causing a small fire at the site of the explosion, he said.
“He was cutting into it with the intention of recycling it,” Ames said. “I don’t think he does it for a living, but there were a few propane (cylinders) there that he had cut into.”
Ames said the man is a “late 30-year-old” who may live in the area of the 25 Granite St. home where the incident occurred.
Fire crews were called to the scene at about 9:30 p.m. for a report of an outside fire with burn injuries to one person’s face.
Ames would not comment on whether the man was conscious and alert when firefighters arrived on the scene. He said the man’s injuries were severe and life-threatening.
“When someone has burns to the upper body that severe, it is considered severe and life-threatening,” he said.
The man was taken to Franklin Regional Hospital from which a helicopter airlifted him to a hospital to the south of town, said Ames, who said he wasn’t sure which hospital to which the man was sent.
There was no significant fire on the scene, Ames said.
Franklin fire crews assisted by taking medical calls for the Tilton-Northfield Fire Department, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
- Officials: Manchester's crime rate showing sizable decline - 0
- Spaulding Turnpike speed limit headed up from 55 to 65 - 0
- Chemical spill at Nashua North sends 6 to hospital - 0
- Enfield home destroyed by 3-alarm blaze - 0
- State: Range of staffing issues led to 'bad outcomes' at Lakeview NeuroRehabilitation - 0
- Driver loses control, crashes into four vehicles at Hudson auto body shop - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say man swung ax at ex - 0
- Celtics dominate Orlando - 0
- Bruins hold on in Minnesota, beat Wild in OT - 0
- Andreoff hat trick paces Monarchs - 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 0
- More theft-related charges for Raymond woman - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
- Thursday meeting to address Windham water project concerns - 0
- Derry takes steps to improve rundown buildings - 0
Police arrest pair after bullets fly
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK?
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Police: Man endangered child after overdose