Home » News » Politics » Granite Status
Cities rush to train lifeguard recruits so pools can open for summer
Lifeguard Deanna Nickerson of Candia monitors swimmers at Livingston Pool in Manchester on opening day Tuesday. (MICHAEL COUSINEAU/UNION LEADER)
Vachon suspects the lifeguard certification cost of $275 kept some people from applying this year. The city is offering to pay half the cost if the lifeguard stays the whole season. The city is paying lifeguards $13.70 an hour.
A shortage of a dozen lifeguards in Concord meant the Merrill, Kimball and Garrison pools opened Monday rather than Saturday after new recruits gained their certification, she said.
Amy Bassett, public information officer at the New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation, said lifeguards work at about a dozen state parks. There were no delayed openings, but there remained lifeguard openings at a handful of parks, including at Hampton Beach.
City officials closed Crystal Lake beach to swimming on Tuesday, after elevated levels of E.coli bacteria were found during routine sampling, the Manchester Health Department said.
Once levels drop to acceptable, the city will reopen the beach, officials said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Windham schools may opt out of federal lunch program - 0
- Salem school moves forward with gym floor replacement - 0
- NH Club Notes: Goffstown Rotary to host meet-and-greet social - 0
- Tiny cookie causes stir in tiniest town in New Hampshire - 0
- Claremont 250th includes festival, brewfest - 0
- Peterborough group shares the basics of hearth cookery - 0
- Speedway looks to attract more fans as NASCAR stars return to NH - 0
- Next to the fun park, a new seafood spot - 0
- A story to bring beer lovers pleasant dreams - 0
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Windham's Advanced Placement program growing
Claremont 250th includes festival, brewfest
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over