Cities rush to train lifeguard recruits so pools can open for summer
Lifeguard Deanna Nickerson of Candia monitors swimmers at Livingston Pool in Manchester on opening day Tuesday. (MICHAEL COUSINEAU/UNION LEADER)
Vachon suspects the lifeguard certification cost of $275 kept some people from applying this year. The city is offering to pay half the cost if the lifeguard stays the whole season. The city is paying lifeguards $13.70 an hour.
A shortage of a dozen lifeguards in Concord meant the Merrill, Kimball and Garrison pools opened Monday rather than Saturday after new recruits gained their certification, she said.
Amy Bassett, public information officer at the New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation, said lifeguards work at about a dozen state parks. There were no delayed openings, but there remained lifeguard openings at a handful of parks, including at Hampton Beach.
City officials closed Crystal Lake beach to swimming on Tuesday, after elevated levels of E.coli bacteria were found during routine sampling, the Manchester Health Department said.
Once levels drop to acceptable, the city will reopen the beach, officials said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Keene 'Dump Derby' participants pick up 20,000 pumpkins - 0
- Taking pride in their recovery - 0
- Route 101 In Auburn Renamed For 101st Airborne 'Screaming Eagles' - 0
- Worth keeping all these years later: A Churchill cigar (yes, that Churchill) - 0
- Keene Pumpkin Festival brings out big admission from Boston mascot - 0
- John Harrigan: A sad dog story, borders and Ebola - 0
- Hundreds attend memorial for slain journalist on his birthday - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Trimming dog's weight may be as simple as a smaller scoop and bowl - 0
- Learning from her experience, she's ready to help others - 0
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Enter to win tickets to see Ani DiFranco
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
After riots, soul-searching begins
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy