Cities rush to train lifeguard recruits so pools can open for summer
Lifeguard Deanna Nickerson of Candia monitors swimmers at Livingston Pool in Manchester on opening day Tuesday. (MICHAEL COUSINEAU/UNION LEADER)
Vachon suspects the lifeguard certification cost of $275 kept some people from applying this year. The city is offering to pay half the cost if the lifeguard stays the whole season. The city is paying lifeguards $13.70 an hour.
A shortage of a dozen lifeguards in Concord meant the Merrill, Kimball and Garrison pools opened Monday rather than Saturday after new recruits gained their certification, she said.
Amy Bassett, public information officer at the New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation, said lifeguards work at about a dozen state parks. There were no delayed openings, but there remained lifeguard openings at a handful of parks, including at Hampton Beach.
City officials closed Crystal Lake beach to swimming on Tuesday, after elevated levels of E.coli bacteria were found during routine sampling, the Manchester Health Department said.
Once levels drop to acceptable, the city will reopen the beach, officials said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pianist Sean Chen to lead concert, master class at Philips Exeter Academy - 0
- Oil paintings, mixed-media featured in new exhibit - 0
- Pastel Society opens sixth annual juried exhibit - 0
- Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen - 0
- George Benson pays jazzy tribute to genre pioneer Nat King Cole - 0
- Aardvark Jazz Orchestra conjures big-band era in Claremont show - 0
- PSU Symphonic Band gets a new start with contemporary wind, band works - 0
- Be city official, concerned citizen for a night - 0
- Dartmouth alum returns to campus with 'Laggies' - 0
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen