Monadnock area family of killed Marine travels to Delaware for arrival of body
“It was very emotional for me. The first step for it becoming real, even more real,” his mother, Jessie Garabrant of Rindge, said Tuesday night.
“We were there to basically witness the transfer from the plane to the van to go to the mortuary,” she said. “But each crew that does it is all in sync, and it’s a very precise process for each” flag-covered coffin.
“The support from the Marines and the community and our family and friends has been overwhelming and extremely helpful during this very difficult time,” she said.
He was the son of John Garabrant and Jessie Garabrant and had a younger brother and sister, Jacob and Mykala.
Garabrant, a 2013 graduate of ConVal Regional High School in Peterborough, became the focus of national attention last year after his request to graduate in his Marine Corps dress uniform was turned down. He chose not to fight the decision and to graduate in the traditional cap and gown “out of respect for the USMC and ConVal,” he said at the time.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Manchester makes move to outsource student driver education program - 3
- Nashua education board chair concerned about test scores - 0
- Dartmouth scholar to co-lead Arctic initiative - 0
- Manchester school health costs down, but plans called 'generous' - 0
- Manchester school board reaffirms 'get tough' policy for student assaults - 3
- Pinkerton Academy to issue refunds to sending towns - 0
- New Boston firefighters share safety tips with elementary school students - 0
- Public hearing on proposed school bonds - 1
- Crotched Mtn. school suit alleges abuse - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 16
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
- Rocket blast damps Orbital as commercial space rush lures rivals - 0
- GT Advanced, Apple try to keep lid on COO's comments - 0
- Former Farmington fire chief waives arraignment on theft charges - 0
- $50k bail for two charged with beating pizza delivery man - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters