Monadnock area family of killed Marine travels to Delaware for arrival of body
“It was very emotional for me. The first step for it becoming real, even more real,” his mother, Jessie Garabrant of Rindge, said Tuesday night.
“We were there to basically witness the transfer from the plane to the van to go to the mortuary,” she said. “But each crew that does it is all in sync, and it’s a very precise process for each” flag-covered coffin.
“The support from the Marines and the community and our family and friends has been overwhelming and extremely helpful during this very difficult time,” she said.
He was the son of John Garabrant and Jessie Garabrant and had a younger brother and sister, Jacob and Mykala.
Garabrant, a 2013 graduate of ConVal Regional High School in Peterborough, became the focus of national attention last year after his request to graduate in his Marine Corps dress uniform was turned down. He chose not to fight the decision and to graduate in the traditional cap and gown “out of respect for the USMC and ConVal,” he said at the time.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
- Delana and Samuel Curtis — a marriage not made in heaven - 0
- E. W. Harrington Jr. — A life in the spotlight - 0
- The Manchester Opera House — A golden age of theater - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 1
- The Harrington-Smith Block — an architectural masterpiece - 0
- The biggest funeral Manchester had ever seen - 0
- The story begins for the Harrington Family of Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition at Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 in Rochester - 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 0
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too