action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
Fugitive of the Week Jonathan Benedict

CAPTURED

Jonathan E. Benedict

Oct 30, 2014

Darrell Cook

Darrell W. Cook

Oct 2, 2014

Michael Polchies

CAPTURED

Michael Polchies

Sep 25, 2014

Home » News » Crime

June 25. 2014 10:05PM

Mass. man arrested over assault of 11-year-old girl


DANIEL PEREZ 

SALEM — A Massachusetts man living at a South Broadway motel was ordered held on bail after police charged him Tuesday with allegedly molesting an 11-year-old girl.

Daniel Perez, 31, was arraigned on a charge of felonious sexual assault in 10th Circuit Court-District Division-Salem on Wednesday.

Salem prosecutor Jason Grosky said that Perez was living at a Salem motel after being evicted from an apartment in Lawrence, Mass.

Perez is accused of molesting the girl at the motel between May 25 and May 26, police said.

Police began investigating Perez on May 30 after the girl disclosed to a school teacher that had been sexually assaulted by Perez, according to a sworn affidavit by Salem police Detective Michael Geha.

The girl recounted to a forensic interviewer at the Child Advocacy Center how Perez allegedly assaulted her while the two were in a motel room, Geha said in the affidavit.

Perez denied having any physical contact with the girl during an interview with police Tuesday, police said.

“Mr. Perez said that he was sorry for his actions, but assured me that he did not remember what had taken place,” Geha said in the affidavit.

Perez then became “extremely emotional”, admitted that he had touched the girl, and told the detective, “she is telling the truth,” according to Geha.

Perez denied during his arraignment on Wednesday knowing anything about the charges pending against him. He told Judge Robert Stephens via a video feed from the jail that he had been threatened by inmates while being in custody.

“They already threatened me with my life,” Perez said.

Grosky argued for Perez to be held on $25,000 cash bail, saying he had a pending assault and battery case out of Massachusetts and failed to appear for a prior court date in another matter.

No plea was entered on Wednesday. Judge Robert Stephen decided there was enough probable cause to keep Perez held on $25,000 cash bail. Perez is due back in court July 2.

jkimble@newstote.com


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
  • Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
  • KSC students
  • 37%
  • KSC administration
  • 2%
  • Police
  • 6%
  • Visitors from out of town
  • 18%
  • A combination of any/all of the above
  • 37%
  • Total Votes: 2483

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events